Thursday 8 July 2010

A poem

 
Closing
I opened, unaware of this world.
Naïve, a patient hand nurtured me from the soil.
I transformed, took leave of the trellis
That had been erected to support me.
I found my freedom, reached out with
My thin, tender stems to feel the sun.
I grew, looking everywhere for that light.
With the passing seasons I became bolder,
Put on a passionate display. Violent floral reds.
But inside me, in my roots and cells,
I felt empty. I witnessed foliage to the
Left and right of me dying, shriveling up.
I felt feeble. Then I came to acknowledge
My impermanence. I was a fragile being,
Just a straw, not even that. Then began my
Laughing days. I laughed as the leaves
Turned brown and the days shorter. Laughing,
As I knew I was dissolving, returning to
The soil. Now I am folding.
I am closing.
I'm here.

Benjamin Major

No new post this week as I have been working on writings that I hope to see published. The collection from which this poem comes, along with several older essays that will never see the light of day, can now be found on my brand new Scribd account.

No comments:

Post a Comment